Overwhelmed by the number of jobs you’ve got to get done before your removal can begin? Here at Meerkat Removals and Storage, we know how stressful your moving day can be – that’s why we’ve put together a checklist of everything you need to make sure your move goes ahead without any bumps in the road. Read on for our round-up of the removals and storage necessities you’ll need.
2 months before you move
- Draw up a list of your main possessions.
- Decide what items you’ll take to your new home and where you will place larger items. A floor plan of your new home may help with this so try and acquire one; your seller may be able to sketch you a rough copy.
- If you have items you don’t want to take with there are a number of ways you can get rid of them, including car boot sales, online auction sites and charity shops.
6 weeks before you move
- Clean out cupboards and place possessions in usable piles/larger rooms. Take a full inventory so you know exactly what you own.
- Items you won’t want to take with can be sold or given away – don’t forget removals companies quote by volume so the more you bring with the more you pay.
- If you’re relocating due to a job move, find out what costs your employer will cover.
1 month before you move
- Finalise your move date so you can start making firm bookings for removals and other related services – this will be easier once contracts have been exchanged.
- Appoint a removals firm, but remember to make sure they are a professional and reputable company. Ask them when they offer discounts, as many companies will charge a premium for moving you on bank holidays, weekends, and in the summer months.
- If you’re looking for moving insurance, cleaning or storage check with your removals company – they may offer these at a discount.
2 weeks before you move
- Check you have adequate prescription medicines to cover the moving period.
- Safely dispose of all flammables e.g. Paints, Gas Bottles, Cleaning Fluids etc.
- If your removal company is not making arrangements for you, book people to carry out services. e.g. Removing light fittings, House Cleaning.
1 week before you move
- Put all your important documents in one plain, sturdy box and place it where you won’t lose it – this should include passports, driving licenses, house deeds, wills, insurance papers, football pools, jewellery and cash.
- Keep all moving-related documents in a single folder for easy access.
- Finish packing so you have everything boxed up and ready to go – make sure you do this systematically.
1 day before you move
- Walk through your house one last time to make sure everything is accounted for.
- Strip the beds.
- Keep linens in a box that travels with you, so you can use them the first night.
- Make sure you have the keys to your new home, or have arranged to collect them.
On the day you move
- Record all utility meter readings (gas, electricity, and water).
- Stay until your movers have finished.
- Check the traffic for your journey with keepmoving.com
- Take one final look around to see if you forgot anything.
- Before leaving check that all windows are secure and water, gas and electricity supplies are switched off.
Once you are in your new home
- Make sure you are present when the removal crew arrives so you can guide them around the house confirming what is to be moved and any special instructions.
- Check the unloading of your items and account for each one on your packing inventory.
- Check carefully for any damaged or missing items.
- Place moving and other important documents in a safe place.
- Collect held mail from the post office if you’ve arranged this service.
After you have moved in
- Start cleaning and make the beds.
- Plug in your telephones, answering machine and large appliances.
- Unpack your ‘survival kit’.
- Let older children organise their own rooms.
- Settle younger children in one room with some toys and treats.
- If possible, keep pets away until you are settled in.